By Melanie Warman; Boobs on the Run.
Lets start thinking about ways to boost immunity before Winter hits. We are all busy, living in the real world with high stress levels, less than 8 hours sleep, taking public transport and eating quick fix diets. It seems that getting at least one cold/ flu every winter is inevitable, especially if you have children because they love to bring a vicious lurgy home and share it around.
TOP TEN TIPS
1. Wash your hands to avoid spreading germs, we all need reminding every now and then.
2. Get at least 8 hours of good quality sleep every night, it’s true that an hour before midnight is worth two after. Aim to have at least 3 nights a week in bed before 10:30, go on give it a go.
3. Reduce your sugar consumption! Sugar is an immune suppressant with the effects lasting up to five hours after consumption.
4. Drink water or plain herbal teas, aim for around 2 litres a day
5. Eat vegetables of all colours, the brighter the better as these colourful guys are full of anti-oxidants and vitamins.
6. Consume good quality proteins such as fish, organic chicken, grass fed meat, eggs and nuts. Protein provides the building blocks for every cell in your body including those that fight infection.
7. Increase consumption of infection fighting foods such as onions, garlic, ginger, chilli, turmeric and cinnamon.
8. Exercise, outdoors if possible, this not only helps you stay fit this winter, but will improve mood and give you a great dose of immune boosting vitamin D from the sun.
9. Rest when you need to! Don’t push yourself to the point of exhaustion. Have a nap, read a book, meditate, close your eyes for 10 mins.
10. Include probiotic foods such as yogurt, kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut and Kombucha in your diet. 70% of the body’s immune system is found in the gut so healthy gut bacteria is vital.